Ladies, this is a column for the husbands out there. Women shouldn’t read this, especially wives. It is for men only. I know you understand and will not read any further than this opening paragraph. Thank you. Thank you so very much, wonderful ladies.
Okay guys, that’s it; they’re gone. Now I can be honest with you and make this a hard-hitting article that our wives will not read.
My original opening was much tougher than the above one – I commanded our wives not to read this article. That’s right men; I told them that as the kings of our castles, husbands deserved time to be with other husbands, talking man-things. (All single males are happily invited to read this too!). I ordered the “gals” to stay away from this or else. I am not sure what the words “or else” meant, but I didn’t want my wife to read the “or else” because she’d get mad and I would be in trouble. So I wrote a gentler and more genteel opening. Women got the point, I’m sure.
I’ll lay it on the line, men; we husbands are treated shabbily by society. Here are a few examples from television commercials:
- A husband is portrayed literally as a horse’s ass in a Sony commercial
- A husband stupidly buys a cheaper detergent and is then informed by his super-smart wife that it will take twice as much of the stuff to clean the dishes and thus, they will pay much more for his idiotic decision
- Countless commercials show men as dopey, sports-loving, junk-food eating, baseball-cap wearing children even if these men are middle aged
- Men are so stupid they drive their cars off cliffs and thus women need an insurance company of their own to prevent their rates from getting too high
- United Health Care shows a bunch of men cheering a fellow idiot as he tries to pole vault across a pool and instead lands on the food table, crushing it and causing himself to be concussed, while the wives watch, snicker and discuss what health care they have
- Most truly dumb husbands are white men but now we are beginning to see black husbands as idiots too; being just as sports-obsessed and clueless as their white counterparts
I am sure you know of dozens of commercials where the husband (or man) is treated as if he were still slowly evolving into something somewhat resembling a human being; something wives have been for millennia. I don’t have to list them all because there’s a Yankee game starting in a half hour that I don’t want to miss.
So husbands, we must unite to fight the stereotype of husbands (and other males) being doofuses. You gay men out there, now that you can marry, guess what? You’ll be portrayed as doofuses soon enough. What a field day the advertising agencies will have with two husbands!
And look at the holidays of Mother’s Day and Valentine’s Day: these celebrate women. Almost all commercials show Valentine’s Day as a woman’s day. How are men remembered on Valentine’s Day? The Saint Valentine’s Day massacre! And Father’s Day? It’s an afterthought without the impact of Mother’s Day.
Enough I say. Enough! It is time to wipe out the discrimination against husbands.
I now propose Husbands’ Day with the following stipulations:
- The celebration day will be on a Sunday and the next day, Monday, will be considered a National Holiday, where men who must work get double-time
- Wives must obey their Husbands 100 percent
- Husbands can wear whatever clothes they want without recrimination, including Crocs with white socks and high-water sweat pants
- Husbands will be allowed to put the television sound as loud as they want
- Husbands will not be force-fed fruits and vegetables by their health-conscious wives
- No commercials making fun of husbands will be broadcast on television, radio or Internet
- New commercials shall be made showing husbands to be the most important people in history
- Husbands will be accorded the respect we deserve and all women must bow to us as we enter a room or are introduced to them
This is just a preliminary list to get us started. As Husbands’ Day takes full shape other stipulations will be added.
Let me add one more thing: Wives shall call us “master.”
Husbands, our time has come!
Men, let’s get this movement started! (Do not tell my wife any of this.)
Frank’s latest books are Confessions of a Wayward Catholic!; I Am a Dice Controller and I Am a Card Counter. All of Frank’s books are available from Amazon.com, Kindle, Barnes and Noble, e-books and at bookstores.